Canadian Students on Mental Illnesses Conference: Real Talks
Time & Location
About the Event
All year, at the Student Mental Health Pros of UCalgary, we have been having real discussions on our illnesses in circles of people living with the same illnesses (peer groups) to uplift each other and provide safe spaces for these discussions. This summer, we are opening these conversations to students living with mental illnesses and those looking to better understand and support us alike! We also want this to be a congregation of students across Canada finding space to share their stories and recognize these experiences as important topics, especially as we are looking to establish branches of our club across Canada this fall. Register for our national organization through this form.
Sessions will be enlightning, uplifting and interactive. Lead by students, for students and others wishing to engage with students on mental illnesses. The sessions that will be part of our conference:
- Specific topic related to anxiety
- Specific topic related to depression
- Making it through the semesters with ADHD
- Mental illnesses & religion
- Bullying as a source of mental illnesses
- Less discussed disorders (antisocial personality disorder, oppositional defiant disorder and more)
- Experiencing racism & mental illnesses
- Transitioning & sexuality with mental illness
- How the pandemic has affected our mental health
- Words from the founder: What does it mean to really accept our (or others’) illnesses as real illnesses
We also plan to have speed-friending sessions daily to make connections with like minded people across the country and near to us!
Register to get the full schedule when it is ready as well as reminders as the conference approaches! You will also get the playlist we've built together (details below) after the conference! Please let us know of the best times for us to hold our sessions through this 2 mins form.
Mark down our date and let others know about our conference! Give us a follow on social media @smhpcanada and take part in our songs challenge to be entered in giveaways! (more info below on this page)
We cannot wait to be running these impactful conversations and truly hope you'll come through to them!
For how to contact us regarding our conference or club visit our contact page!
Our song challenge
We are running a song challenge to touch on mental health and countdown to our conference!
It is quick and easy to enter. We will draw two winners out of the entries for a $50 Starbucks or Chapters/Indigo card.
The songs you send will also be added to the playlist that will play in between sessions at our conference (with your okay).
How to enter
1. In your story, put up the image of the countdown (downloaded right here or just a share of our post) and share a song for the category of the day - you may zoom into the box for the day
2. After at least 10 hours, DM @smhpcanada on Instagram a screenshot of your story
-> Your song will be added to our conference playlist (and potentially to other playlists we build from it – ex: "For tough days”)!
* You may do multiple songs a day, each will count as an entry
We’re super excited to receive your entries and use music to discuss and deal with mental health. Please help us share about our challenge and conference as much as you can!